Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Deal's a Deal

I was sitting in the waiting room at one of my many dr appointments on Monday perusing a celebrity rag mag. I came across an article on a certain celeb couple who had the inside of their rings inscribe with the words "A deal's a deal." That really hit home with me right now. That pretty much sums up where my sweet husband and I are right now. We are supporting each other not because we are so happy and in love (don't get me wrong, we absolutely LOVE each other) but because that is the deal we made. We've agreed to stick it out.

I was thinking about our wedding day and wondered how things would have gone if when the preacher said in sickness and in health, the micro machine guy popped up saying:

"Sickness will include but not be limited to a bout with malignant melanoma that will leave your wife scarred, sick, grouchy, uninterested in sex or even being touched for that matter because her body will constantly be uncomfortable. Her hair will come out in clumps and it will bother her so much that she will complain about that the most. She will struggle on and off with depression, but refuse to accept help the doctors will try to offer. She will spend alot of time sleeping and leave you to care for the children. Most days she will be unable to do menial tasks. She will be unable to remember important things you've asked her to do and as a result, you will be in charge of most of the household responsibilities. Things will basically be miserable for an undisclosed amount of time."


Right now there are no deep, meaningful kisses, snuggles on the couch or date nights. Smiles and laughter are few and far between. Many nights we don't even spend in the same bed because I can't bear to be touched or moved. Things are not carefree. We used to talk about our future or where we would be in in X amount of years. Now, we talk about treatment options, friends who have received bad scans, upcoming appointments, who will take care of the children and how I'm feeling, or we simply don't talk at all. There is always a nagging feeling of worry.

I worry alot about cancer and recurrence and the future. One thing I NEVER worry about is getting through this with my marriage in tact. I also know that this experience has and will continue to make us stronger. We are in this and I know that he will be right there with me through whatever happens in this life together because after all, a deal's a deal.

13 comments:

Micah and Tara Hobbs said...

Good reminder!! Thank you for always being so real about what you are going through! Praying you and your family!

Sara said...

Your honesty is riveting. Thank you for it...as a side note, I love your wit as well. God bless you sweet girl.

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing Becca. We are continuing to pray for you, even in your day to day UPS and downs. And by the way, your hair continues to look very full and pretty!! Having thick hair is a plus. Thinking of your sweet family!

Chelsea said...

This gave me chills. I love you two. You are my favorite couple!

Summer said...

Thank God for a good marriage (they are hard to come by these days). You are a blessed woman. And he is a blessed man.

Summer said...

And BTW, you're coming to camp next year. With all your children. If I can survive (and love it), anyone can.

Katie's Cakes said...

You amaze me everyday Beeks. I love you more than you could ever know.

Kim said...

This was amazing. I love you so much!

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing your journey and reminding us of what is important. We are praying for you and I look forward to a post someday about a date night and that long awaited deep kiss you have missed! (PS we never leave the house without sunscreen anymore because of you!!!)

Sada said...

Thanks for this post. That's true love.

Gena said...

Becca, this is a wonderful post. Thank you for being in it for the long haul. I wish everyone had the same outlook on marriage. :)

Melody said...

Becca, you continue to amaze me (& lots of others)as I watch you handle this extremely difficult situation. You are so honest & willing to share yourself. Praise God for people like you & Eddie to look to as an example. Prayers continually going up for you!

JL said...

God Bless you and Thank you for that beautiful and honest testimony! And, You are so right ~ "Therefore, What God has Joined, let no man, or sickness, separate!"